Coaches, parents, swimmers and fans: we’re depending on you to
keep us up-to-date on all your club’s activities and meets. Have
something you want to add?
Click here for instructions
South Lakes High School Swim and Dive
11400 South Lakes Drive, Reston, VA 20191
Scott Brown, Head Coach
January 27, 2014
South Lakes Swimmers Edged Out By McLean
Reston, VA – Strong swims and a number of first-place finishes by South Lakes High School swimmers weren’t enough to pull off a victory against McLean High School in a dual meet January 24 at the Spring Hill RECenter. The girls were edged out with 155 points to McLean’s 160, while the boys scored 140 points against McLean’s 165.
South Lakes started the meet with both the girls and boys winning the first two events. In the 200yd Medley Relay, Johnny Micka, Benjamin Gryski, Mac Sogandares, and Tyler Hutson won for the boys. Natalie Obando, Megan Carney, Sabrina Groves, and Sasha Avilov won for the girls. In the 200yd Freestyle, freshmen Tyler Ellis for the boys and Emily Landeryou for the girls both finished first, with a Regionals-qualifying time for Landeryou.
Additional highlights for South Lakes included:
• A sweep of the 50yd Freestyle event for the girls with first- through fourth-place finishes for Malina Stassinos (first), Avilov (second), Madeleine Daum (third), and Kaylyn Macaluso (fourth).
• A sweep of the 100yd Butterfly for the boys with first- through third-place finishes for Sogandares (first, with a Regionals-qualifying time), Ellis (second), and Micka (third).
• A one-two finish in the 500yd Freestyle for Joseph Hosi (first) and Bradley Torrington (second).
• A first-place finish for the girls 200yd Freestyle Relay team of Landeryou, Macaluso, Daum, and Avilov.
• A one-two finish in the 100yd Backstroke for Natalie Obando (first, with a Regionals-qualifying time), and Landeryou (second).
• Sogandares achieved a Regionals-qualifying time with a second-place finish in the 100yd Breast Stroke.
• A one-two finish for the girls 400yd Freestyle Relay teams, with the team of Groves, Caitlyn King, Daum, and Landeryou winning first, and Stassinos, Katie Lee, Macaluso, and Obando coming in second.
• A first-place finish for Groves in the 200yd Individual Medley.
• A first-place finish for Tyler Hutson in the 50yd Freestyle.
South Lakes swimmers return to the pool for the conference meet later this week, with diving at 5:30 pm on Thursday, January 30, preliminary swimming on Friday, January 31 at 5:30 pm, and conference swim finals at 5:30 pm on Saturday, February 1 at Yorktown High School in Arlington.
January 20, 2014
South Lakes Swimmers Fade Against Langley
Reston, VA – Despite strong performances by individual swimmers, South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim and Dive teams were unable to pull off a victory against Langley High School in a dual meet January 17 at the Spring Hill RECenter. The girls lost with 140 points to Langley’s 174. The boys scored 130 points against Langley’s 164.
Individual highlights for South Lakes included:
• Emily Landeryou achieved two Regionals qualifying times with second-place finishes in 200yd Individual Medley and 500yd Freestyle.
• Sabrina Groves achieved a Regionals qualifying time with a second-place finish in 100yd Butterfly.
• A one-two finish for Sasha Avilov (first) and Madeleine Daum in the 50yd Freestyle.
• A win for the 200yd Freestyle Relay team of Groves, Avilov, Kaylyn Macaluso, and Malina Stassinos.
• A first place finish for the 200yd Medley Relay team of Johnny Micka, Benjamin Gryski, Mac Sogandares, and Tyler Hutson.
• A win for Gryski in the 200yd Individual Medley.
• A one-two finish for Tyler Ellis (first) and Dylan Hawley in the 100yd Butterfly.
• First place finishes for Sogandares in the 100yd Freestyle and 100yd Breast Stroke.
• Wins for Bradley Torrington in the 500yd Freestyle, and Johnny Micka in 200yd Backstroke.
South Lakes swimmers return to the pool for their last dual meet of the season at 7:00 pm Friday, January 24, to take on McLean High School at Spring Hill RECenter.
January 13, 2014
South Lakes Swimmers Split Win with Jefferson
Reston, VA – South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim and Dive teams split the victory when they faced Thomas Jefferson High School Friday, January 10, at the Herndon Community Center. The girls won with 174 points to Jefferson’s 144. The South Lakes boys scored 94 points to Jefferson’s 211.
South Lakes girls started strong by winning the first four events. The 200yd medley relay team of Natalie Obando, Megan Carney, Sabrina Groves, and Emily Landeryou placed first, while Landeryou won the 200yd Freestyle, Obando won the 200yd Individual Medley, and Sasha Avilov won the 50yd Freestyle. The momentum continued with:
• A sweep of the 100yd Freestyle by Landeryou (first) Groves (second), and Malina Stassinos (third); and the 100yd Breast Stroke by Groves (first), Carney (second), and Kaylyn Macaluso (third).
• A first place finish by Obando in the 100yd Backstroke.
• A one-two finish for Avilov (first) and Stassinos in the 50yd Freestyle.
• A win for the 400yd Freestyle Relay team of Landeryou, Stassinos, Madeleine Daum, and Obando.
Although overall the boys didn’t fare as well against the TJ swimmers as the girls did, the South Lakes boys’ 200yd Freestyle Relay team continued its winning streak with a win for Tyler Hutson, Tyler Ellis, Gianmichel D’Allesandro, and Dylan Hawley.
South Lakes returns to the pool at 7:00 pm Friday, January 17, to take on Langley High School at Spring Hill RECenter.
December 23, 2013
South Lakes Swimmers Split Win with Fairfax
Reston, VA – South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim and Dive teams had mixed results when they faced Fairfax High School Friday, December 20, at the Audrey Moore RECenter. The girls won with 186 points over Fairfax’s 129. The South Lakes boys scored 152.5 points, while the Fairfax boys edged them out with 156.5.
In both the boys and girls 200yd Medley Relay, South Lakes placed first. Mac Sogandares, Benjamin Gryski, Dylan Hawley, and Tyler Hutson swam for the boys. Natalie Obando, Sabrina Groves, Emily Landeryou, and Kaylyn Macaluso swam for the girls. South Lakes also won both 400yd Freestyle Relays, with Tyler Ellis, Hawley, Gryski, and Sogandares swimming for the boys and Groves, Madeleine Daum, Landeryou, and Obando swimming for the girls.
South Lakes girls won all but three of their events. Highlights included:
• Emily Landeryou achieved a State time with a first place finish in 100yd Butterfly and a Region time in 200 Free.
• Natalie Obando achieved a Region time in 100 Back.
• A one-two finish in 100yd Freestyle for Caitlyn King (first) and Daum, in 100yd Back for Obando (first) and King, and in 100yd Butterfly for Landeryou (first) and Groves.
• First place finish in 200yd Individual Medley for Groves; in Diving for Sarah Wikowske; in 100yd Breast for Macaluso.
Though they couldn’t edge out Fairfax for the win, the South Lakes boys had some outstanding swims:
• Mac Sogandares achieved a Region time with a first place finish in 100yd Butterfly.
• Hawley, Hutson, and Ellis swept the 50yd Freestyle.
• A one-two finish in 100yd Butterfly for Sogandares (first) and Hawley, and in 200yd Individual Medley for Gryski (first) and Max Onozuka.
South Lakes will return to the pool after winter break for Senior Night at 7:00 pm Friday, January 10, against Jefferson High School at Herndon Community Center.
December 7, 2013
South Lakes Swimmers Start Season Strong with Win Over Stone Bridge
South Lakes High School’s Varsity Swim teams started off the season with decisive wins over Stone Bridge High School Saturday afternoon, December 7, at the Claude Moore Recreation Center. The girls won with 202 points over Stone Bridge’s 83. The South Lakes boys scored 193 points, while the Stone Bridge boys scored 90.
“It’s a very nice opening meet with a lot of good swims. We’ll keep moving people around and see what we can do pressing forward to get people in the best events,” said Head Coach Scott Brown. “We have a lot of quality freshmen—both boys and girls. They’ll be a nice complement to the returning kids. It’s just a matter of getting them in the right spots.”
South Lakes swimmers dominated the pool. In both the boys and girls 200yd Medley Relay, South Lakes placed first. Jair Valenzuela, Tyler Ellis, Bradley Torrington, and Gianmichel D'Alessandro swam for the boys. Natalie Obando, Sabrina Groves, Emily Landeryou, and Caitlyn King swam for the girls. South Lakes boys swept four events, taking first through third place in the 200yd Medley Relay, the 200yd Freestyle, the 50yd Freestyle, and the 100yd Freestyle. For the girls, Sabrina Groves (first), Natalie Obando (second) and Malina Stassinos (third) swept the 100yd Butterfly event.
Mac Sogandares placed first in both 100yd Butterfly and 100yd Breast and anchored the first-place 400yd Freestyle Relay team with Dylan Hawley, Benjamin Gryski, and Johnny Micka. Joseph Hosi placed first in 200yd Freestyle and second in 100yd Butterfly, and anchored the first-place 200yd Freestyle Relay team with D'Alessandro, Conor McBride, and Tyler Hutson. Hutson also placed first in 50yd freestyle
In addition to the 200yd Medley Relay, Sabrina Groves placed first in both 100yd Butterfly and 200yd Individual Medley as well as the 400yd Freestyle Relay with Malina Stassinos, King, and Landeryou. Landeryou also placed first in her individual events, the 100yd Back and 50yd Freestyle, while King placed first in 100yd Freestyle. Paige Sogandares won the 500yd Freestyle event and placed second in 200yd Freestyle. Kaylyn Macaluso placed first in 100yd Breast and anchored the first-place 200yd Freestyle Relay team with Obando, Stassinos, and Katie Degutis.
South Lakes will return to the pool at 6:00 pm Friday, December 13, against Madison High School at OakMarr RECenter.